Environment Artist (Associate/Staff)
Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a talented, self-motivated Environment Artist to collaborate with a growing team of developers.
The Environment Artist will be responsible for expertly creating aesthetically pleasing environments for a cross-platform RPG, in Unreal Engine. This artist will be responsible for worldbuilding, modeling high and low-poly objects, baking textures, exporting/importing assets, applying materials, and assembling environments.
This position requires the ability to work onsite or in a hybrid capacity at the Obsidian Entertainment office in Irvine, CA.
- Efficiently model, UV map, bake, and create the materials, in a PBR pipeline, for environment assets and assemble them in Unreal Engine 5
- Create a wide range of high-quality environment art assets including props as well as interiors and exteriors of structures
- Manage terrain, foliage, and worldbuilding efforts via Unreal 5
- Work closely with the Art Director, Art Lead, Tech Artists, and Level Designers to ensure the visual target is met or exceeded
- Excellent technical ability with a thorough understanding of modeling, lighting, and surfacing
- Expert knowledge of Maya or similar 3D modeling software
- Expert knowledge of PBR texture, and material pipelines
- Passion for collaboration with other artists and a desire to mentor junior talent
- Strong communication skills and a detailed approach to organization
- Effective working knowledge of performant and attractive level building as well as modular assembly techniques for Unreal Engine
- Knowledge of architecture and engineering fundamentals as well as construction methods
- Working knowledge of color theory
- Familiarity with Houdini
- Understanding principles of good composition
- A passion for RPGs, Sci-Fi, Tabletop games, etc.
- Familiarity with Obsidian games
- A web portfolio that demonstrates a range of high-quality 3D rendered samples and 2D texture art
- Examples of lit interiors/exteriors
- A range of hard surface and organic models
- Samples from previous industry work
- Architectural rendering samples
- Environment art concept samples
- Material examples in Unreal Engine
Obsidian Entertainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
The estimated base pay range for this role is:
- $85,050 - $128,400 per year
Please, no phone calls or drop-ins. We only accept electronic applications.