Lead Narrative Designer
Obsidian is looking for a Lead Narrative Designer to join the development team making our next great world-class RPG.
The Lead Narrative Designer is responsible for advocating for the audience's best narrative experience. They must possess excellent communication and organization skills as well as the ability to negotiate with peers in a goal-oriented way. They will have perfected balancing a game director's goals with the needs of narrative design teams and the expectations of the game's expected audience.
This position requires the ability to work onsite or in a hybrid capacity at the Obsidian Entertainment office in Irvine, CA.
- Working with the Game Director, Region Directors, and Narrative Designers to execute on the game's story beats across content
- Reviewing writing for the project and providing guidance based on the established style and specific aesthetic
- Writing some portion of dialogue and additional game text to have a basic understanding of the game's pipelines and to help establish expectations for the other Narrative Designers
- Working with the Audio Director, Narrative Designers, external voice directors, and voice actors to help coordinate VO sessions (preparing character sides and scripts, providing guidance and context, etc.)
- 3+ years of professional game writing experience with at least one shipped game
- Experience working as a writer on at least one shipped game with branching dialogue
- High working knowledge of RPG conventions
- An active gamer with a passion for making games
- Experience working with dedicated dialogue tools for game development
- Experience in a management/lead role
- Experience working with scripting languages
- Familiarity with the Unreal Engine
- Please attach three fiction writing samples that are representative of your range and skill as a writer
- Samples may include game writing, short stories, novel excerpts, screenplays/script excerpts, graphic novel excerpts, or video links to cutscenes/dialogue sequences you have written
- At least one sample must demonstrate your skill with character dialogue
Obsidian Entertainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please, no phone calls or drop-ins. We only accept electronic applications.Apply Now