Area Designer (Staff/Senior)
Obsidian is looking for a Senior Area Designer passionate about creating amazing worlds and gameplay experiences to join us in developing our next great multi-platform RPG.
At Obsidian, Area Designers build our core game experience. They invent the places and quests that make up our worlds and build them by working collaboratively with the team to bring those places to life. The ideal candidate is someone who thrives on collaborating to build a shared vision of our gameplay areas and directly contributing towards the planning and implementation of content to craft fantastical worlds.
This position requires the ability to work onsite or in a hybrid capacity at the Obsidian Entertainment office in Irvine, CA.
- Design and implement quest and area content with minimal director oversight
- Work with the Region Director and other Area Designers to create a cohesive open-world experience
- Foster a culture of collaboration between all the developers required to bring our area content to life
- Mentor junior designers in best practices and design techniques
- Make independent creative decisions that bolster the game's creative vision
- 3+ years of professional game development experience as a designer (quest, content, level, area, etc.) with at least one shipped game
- Familiarity with the Unreal Engine
- Working knowledge of RPG conventions
- A solid design sense, good communication and organization skills, and the ability to work with team members in a collaborative, goal-oriented way
- A passion for RPGs, Sci-Fi, Tabletop games, etc.
- Familiarity with Obsidian games
- Open-world game development experience
- Familiarity with creating quest content with branching dialog
- Experience or skill in a similar discipline such as narrative design, systems design, environment art, etc.
- Experience working with UE Blueprints
- Examples in shipped games or a web portfolio that demonstrates one or more aspects of the position described above
- Includes videos, screenshots, and/or design documents
Obsidian Entertainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
The estimated base pay range for this role is:
- $102,900 - $146,300 per year
Please, no phone calls or drop-ins. We only accept electronic applications.Apply Now