Senior Technical Artist - Houdini
Obsidian Entertainment is looking for an experienced and talented Houdini Technical Artist, to join our growing team of RPG developers.
This position requires a detailed and practical understanding of how to create quality tools for game asset development. We're looking for an individual who knows how to create tools, assets, and pipelines in Houdini that integrate well with Unreal Engine 4 for next generation game platforms. This Houdini Technical Artist will work with Area Designers, the Art Director, Technical Director, and production artists to develop tools that allow others to iterate effectively and reliably on an open world environment.
- Work daily with production, art and design teams to design, create, and implement production ready world building solutions within Houdini for export to Unreal Engine 4
- Proactively seek out inefficiencies and problems in existing content pipelines and identify potential solutions
- Improve and enhance tools/processes throughout the project cycle
- Assist programmers and designers in researching and developing new game features
- Create and maintain documentation of developed tools and processes
- Drive and maintain performance goals and optimizations in tool development
- Work to improve the tools artists use outside of the game engine, such as Substance Designer/Painter, 3ds Max, Maya, ZBrush, etc.
- Help standardize the workflow and pipelines for asset creation
- Thorough knowledge of Houdini asset and SOP-based tool development (including VEX and Python) for games, and Houdini Engine
- Strong understanding of the performance implications of open world development on consoles and PCs
- 4+ years of experience developing stable and useful tools for asset development support, with two shipped titles
- 2+ years developing tools and assets in Houdini for the game industry with one shipped title
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively balance the needs of game design, art and programming
- Experience using 3ds Max, Maya, and Substance Designer or Painter
- Experience with other game engines, like Frostbite, Unity, etc.
- Experience developing Blueprints in Unreal Engine 4
- Experience with shading languages (HLSL/CG/etc.)
- Be able to work comfortably with common scripting languages (MAXScript, MEL script, Python, etc.)
- Experience with any kind of graphics programming
- A web portfolio that demonstrates usable game development and Houdini tools
- Samples, demonstrations, or documentation of tools pipelines developed to overcome development challenges
Obsidian Entertainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
All resumes must be accompanied by website portfolio.
Simply apply via e-mail: email@example.com
Please put the job you are applying to in the subject line.
Please, no phone calls or drop-ins. We only accept emailed applications.