Technical Artist - Materials
Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a knowledgeable Tech Artist possessing experience with in-game material development to join our growing team of RPG developers.
This position requires a solid understanding of the current concerns, performance monitoring tools, and pipelines for quality materials in Unreal Engine 4 on PC and game consoles. The Materials Tech Artist will report to the Art Director and work with other Tech Artists, the project's Technical Director, and production artists to deliver quality and performance in our materials.
- Work with the development team to design and create materials for environments, characters, VFX, and UI in Unreal Engine 4
- Proactively improve inefficacies, resolve problems and identify solutions in existing materials
- Research, create, and enhance tools, processes, and game features, via material development
- Drive and maintain best practices for material usage toward quality and performance goals within an effective PBR pipeline
- Evaluate and report on material quality of in-game art assets
- 4+ years of experience developing shaders or materials in the game industry with one shipped title
- Thorough knowledge of PBR-compliant material development in Unreal Engine 4, Substance Designer, and Painter
- Strong understanding of performance implications of all material types on consoles and PCs
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively balance the needs of game design, art, and programming
- A strong artistic and game-educated eye
- Experience using Maya and 3ds Max
- Experience with other game engines, like Frostbite, Unity, etc.
- Experience developing Blueprints in Unreal Engine 4
- Experience with shading languages (HLSL/GLSL/CG/etc.)
- Be able to work comfortably with common scripting languages (MAXScript, MEL script, Python, etc.)
- Experience with graphics programming
- A web portfolio that demonstrates quality material creation in Unreal Engine 4, Substance Designer, and Substance Painter
- Samples, demonstrations, or documentation of tools pipelines developed to overcome past challenges
Obsidian Entertainment is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please, no phone calls or drop-ins. We only accept electronic applications.
Other Jobs in Art
|Art Outsourcing Manager||Art | Irvine, CA | Full Time|
|Associate Environment Artist||Art | Irvine, CA | Full Time|
|Character Artist||Art | Irvine, CA | Full Time|
|Character Technical Artist||Art | Irvine, CA | Full Time|
|Environment Artist||Art | Irvine, CA | Full Time|
|Lighting Artist||Art | Irvine, CA | Full Time|
|Senior Environment Artist||Art | Irvine, CA | Full Time|
|Technical Artist - World Performance||Art | Irvine, CA | Full Time|
|UI Artist||Art | Irvine, CA | Full Time|